The first time one the DIVAs made this apple crisp, we all were hooked. It is the perfect combination of apples, cinnamon, and the most perfect crisp topping. And you can even get away without measuring each item…. perfect for someone who does not have the patience for baking a pie!
Michigan Apple Crisp
- 5 Granny Smith Apples, cored & cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted Butter
- 1 cup firmly packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Rolled Oats or Quick-Cooking Oats
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
To make the filling: Combine the apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in an 8-inch square baking dish and mix well. Set aside.
To make the Streusel topping: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the heat, and stir in the brown sugar and salt. Add the flour and the oatmeal and stir until just incorporated. Do not over stir. Crumble the mixture evenly over the apple filling. Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, about 50 minutes.