I love sweet potatoes. I’ll eat them baked, mashed, fried, sautéed…. they’re delicious. While my usual go-to is to bake them, on special occasions I create this mashed dish inspired by Ina Garten. Having always questioned the Thanksgiving favorite of marshmallows melted on yams (but have since decided is delicious – I even sometimes add a small section of mini marshmallows), I was intrigued by Ina’s take on adding the apples to sweet potatoes. While the apples still have a sweetness, you don’t feel like you’re eating candy with your turkey. I took it a step further and made them even healthier by removing the cream. Trust me – you won’t miss it. The mashed sweet potatoes with caramelized apples has become a family Thanksgiving staple over the years. But beyond even the holidays, this is a great fall and winter dish that adds a special feel to any dinner table. Not to mention, warm, comfort food during these cold months!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Apples
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- Fresh squeezed juice from half an orange
- 1/8 tbsp. orange zest
- 1/4 c. skim milk
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 6 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 6 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill a large boiling pot with water and place the potatoes in the water. Bring to a boil and let potatoes simmer until tender with the touch of a fork, about 30 minutes.
- Once tender, remove from the water and carefully remove the skin. When cooked through, the skin should peel right off.
- Combine orange juice, orange zest, milk, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper
- Combine the sweet potatoes, once the skin is removed, with the orange juice mixture. I just use a spoon for this, but a mixer or food processor will also work.
- Place the sweet potato mixture in a casserole dish.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the apple slices and saute until lightly browned, about 10 minutes
- Top the sweet potatoes with the apple slices, layering them slightly on top of the next apple slice. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake the casserole dish, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until it starts to brown